I provide correction, condensation, and organization to produce clear, concise, and succinct writing.
Writing I work on
I specialize in academic and English as a second language (ESL) writing, but also work on:
- Legal writing (I have two law degrees)
- Technical writing
- Business writing
- CVs, resumes, cover letters
Experience I have
- 30-something years as a native English speaker in both the UK and US
- Single-authored papers/book chapters in several different fields
- Graduate Writing Fellow at the University of Maryland since 2014
- Graduate Assistant for Faculty Writing at the College of Information Studies at the University of Maryland since 2016
My editing work has led to PhD dissertations being accepted and government grant proposals being funded.
These rates are not set in stone: every piece of writing and every author’s weak spots are unique, therefore so is my pricing. However, the following should give you an idea of what I charge.
Base package: $30/1000 words*
This includes basic proofreading:
- Grammar, including capitalization, article use, subject-verb agreement, prepositions, verb tense etc.
- Correction of typos
Sentence package: add $5 to base price
All of the above plus:
- Sentence structure (if a sentence doesn’t flow properly, I’ll suggest alternatives)
- Vocabulary and terminology review (making sure the words you’re using are the right ones)
Paragraph package: add $5 to base price
- Structural coherence and logical flow of content (making sure that each paragraph flows from one to the next and a reader can actually follow what you are writing about)
- Sequential order of chapters (like the bullet point above, but from chapter to chapter, rather than paragraph to paragraph)
- Consistency of tables, figures, and charts (checking that when you refer to a table, figure, or chart in your text, it is consistent with what you’ve written)
Layout package: add $5 to base price
- Captions and running heads (making sure that the words in the headers and footers are correct/consistent)
- Spacing and indentation (that the document complies with specified style and/or formatting guidelines)
- Page numbering
Tables, Figures, and Charts package: $5 and up per item
- Reformatting/recreating tables, figures, and charts as per the author’s, style, or formatting requirements
- Example of tables, figures, and charts can be provided upon request
Citation package: add $5 to base price
- Citations are correct in both the text and the reference list
ESL package: add $5–15 to base price
I am experienced in editing writing by authors for whom English is not their first language and have found that there is a wide range of writing proficiency. I formulate the exact fee after reading a sample of text from the document I will be editing.
* Word counts in tables, figures, charts, reference lists etc. DO NOT COUNT unless you choose a package that includes that element.